Location: Oxford Road, Manchester
Closing date (DD/MM/YYYY): 12/04/2022
Salary: £42,149 to £51,799 per annum, depending on relevant experience
Employment type: Permanent
Faculty/Organisation: Science and Engineering
Division: School of Engineering Administration
Hours per week: Full Time
Contract Duration: Permanent, starting as soon as possible
School / Directorate: School of Engineering
Teaching and Learning Manager within the School of Engineering (Faculty of Science and Engineering). This is a key role within the School’s Teaching, Learning and Student Experience management team and is responsible for providing leadership and direction to the School’s Teaching and Learning team, a large team of professional services staff covering a complex range of activities across the School’s seven Disciplines of Education.
You are responsible for the effective management and delivery of all assessment and progression and curriculum and programme management activities for taught degree programmes and ensuring that the School’s students receive the very highest levels of service from the Teaching and Learning team.
The role reports to the Head of Teaching, Learning and Student Experience and works in close collaboration with other senior professional services and academic colleagues across the School, Faculty and University to develop, embed and maintain effective working partnerships with all stakeholders, conducive to the realisation of School, Faculty and University strategic objectives.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities or Duties:
• To lead teams to deliver consistent, sustainable development and review of systems,
processes and networks in accordance with both professional, statutory and regulatory
requirements and internal regulations and requirements in teaching and learning activity
across the school, ensuring excellent services to students across the organisation and in line
with agreed standards and in response to changing needs.
• To work flexibly across the University and to take responsibility for assignments and roles as
required across the organisation, using key principles of business partnering and collaborative
working to ensure delivery of university and local priorities, operating at all times as a single
cross University team.
• To lead on and oversee the provision of advice and guidance to University colleagues,
including Professional Services (PS)/Faculty/Schools-based colleagues, on key issues
concerning external compliance, sector expertise, sharing best practice and teaching and
learning (including online and blended learning).
• To contribute to the continuous review and improvement of institution-wide strategy, policy
and processes and systems – ensuring simplicity, consistency and agility – working in
partnership with colleagues and key stakeholders across the University to meet collective
• To lead the implementation, evaluation and monitoring of institution-wide strategy, policy and
process at a local level, and lead the development and implementation of local procedures as
• To lead, organise, motivate and direct the work of the team, delegating responsibility to the
appropriate level, ensuring that its objectives are met and it is operating efficiently and
• To be a member of the management team, contributing to operational planning, visions and
values and providing effective leadership.
• To actively contribute to the budget setting process and monitor income and expenditure for
assigned areas of responsibility.
• To lead the development and monitoring of KPI’s where appropriate so that the University can
be seen as a leader exemplifying best practice, sharing it as appropriate and learning from
the experience of others.
• To work with colleagues in establishing and maintaining the University’s reputation and profile
nationally (and internationally where appropriate).
• To take a lead role in the development and implementation of relevant IT systems and
participate in reviewing processes and implementing new working methods as necessary,
ensuring the skills (including digital) of self and the team are sufficient at all levels to derive
maximum benefit from corporate technologies and processes.
• To champion and deliver a culture of excellent customer service and embed a performance
culture within the team.
• To embed a culture of continuous improvement, collaboration, consistency and innovation,
and lead on change initiatives.
• Responsible for activities associated with the team’s delivery of relevant statutory obligations
and external requirements, including reporting.
• To deputise for senior colleagues as required.
• To be responsible for compliance with and promotion of University policies, procedures and
requirements at all times – in particular those relating to health and safety; equality, diversity
and inclusion; and information governance. Embed these within day to day working practices
and ensure they are managed effectively.
• To invest in one’s own professional development and that of all members the team.
• To have a commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
• Assignment specific duties and responsibilities.
• Where appropriate, to have ownership and review of system training materials, learning
resources, business process design maps, and user acceptance test scripts, and any
revisions which may arise as a result of software updates or policy and regulation changes.
• To have awareness and active engagement with the need for diversity and inclusion in all that
we do, for example when working with individuals who identify with a protected characteristic
under the Equality Act, students who are under-represented in Higher Education as outlined
in the University’s widening participation strategy.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Extensive professional experience and evidence of progressive professional
• Proven record in effectively leading and managing a team with evidence of setting and
achieving clear objectives and performance goals.
• Significant experience, knowledge and understanding of learning and teaching
excellence & enhancement (including online and blended learning) and the student
• Capacity to think in strategic terms and a willingness to exercise leadership including
leading and managing significant cultural and organisational change.
• Ability to manage projects and operations within budget.
• Experience of policy development and implementation.
• Evidence of experience of working in a customer focused environment and delivering
exceptional customer service to stakeholders.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to engage and influence colleagues
and work collaboratively across organisational boundaries in the pursuit of University
strategies and their implementation at a local level.
• Strong negotiation and relationship building skills, the ability to influence others outside
the direct sphere of control, and experience of matrix working.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
• An ability to develop and manage plans of work within the context of the
School/Divisional Strategy in support of the University’s overall aims.
• Knowledge and understanding of how IT systems can support and enhance service
delivery, with knowledge and experience of IT systems relevant to the role.
• The ability to represent the University externally.
• Demonstrates a personal and professional commitment to the University’s strategic
goals, themes and values.
• Significant experience of teaching and learning and quality assurance in relation to
undergraduate and postgraduate taught education.
• An ability to quickly assimilate information forming recommendations, alternative
courses of action and making decisions.
As an equal opportunities employer we welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of age, sex, gender (or gender identity), ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and transgender status. All appointments are made on merit.
Our University is positive about flexible working – you can find out more here
Blended working arrangements may be considered
Please note that we are unable to respond to enquiries, accept CVs or applications from Recruitment Agencies.
Enquiries about the vacancy, shortlisting and interviews:
Name: Carly Peesapati
APPLY NOW: https://www.jobs.manchester.ac.uk/internal/displayjob.aspx?jobid=21993