Giving Black senior leaders a seat at the table
Research by McKinsey found that companies who were more gender diverse were 15% more likely to outperform their peers. In that same study they looked at ethnicity, and found that companies who were more ethnically diverse were 35% more likely to outperform their peers.
When you surround yourself with people who are not like you, who talk differently, who think differently, who experience life differently what happens is the IQ of the group becomes stronger and the opportunities to find those nuggets of innovation become greater for you.
The pipeline of board directors today lacks diversity. Board positions can be closed off to people who do not find themselves in the ‘right’ candidate pools, who are not identified by gatekeepers or who simply lack board experience.
Diverse talent is out there but the opportunity is not. Board Apprentice was created to bridge this gap.
What We Do
BURN has partnered with Board Apprentice to widen the pool of board-ready talent by identifying and placing high-calibre, diverse professionals as ‘board apprentices’ on boards for one year.
The programme allows Black professional the opportunity to gain first-hand experience through observation of the workings and dynamics of a board. These senior leader apprentices emerge with the practical experience and understanding necessary to further qualify them to take on board roles.
Over 50% of board apprentices become board members within a year of their apprenticeship.
The apprentices gain more self-confidence in applying for board positions. Furthermore, they develop their network with existing board members and increase their understanding of what it takes to be a board member.
Become a Board Apprentice
Participate on this 12 month board development programme which has been designed to support career advancement onto senior decision-making boards. Summary of the Programme: –
- Be appointed to a board as an apprentice for a full financial year with a private companies, state-owned enterprises, public sector bodies, higher-education institutions, NGOs and local and regional governments.. Generally 4+ board meetings but can be as many as 12
- Access to corporate governance webinar sessions during the year to fill knowledge and skills gaps.
- Have access to various professional Non Executive Director (NED) training (this can be from accountancy firms/law firms/associations etc)
- Could be eligible for CPD
- Receive a certificate at the end of the year confirming details of the apprenticeship
- Become a BA alumni member
- Join the list of BA finalists
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to working with you!
Become a Host Board for a Board Apprentice
We’re looking for host boards that recognise the need for diversity in the boardroom and want to be part of developing a wider pool of candidates for board-level positions.
Taking part in developing new board members can improve succession planning and serve as a tool for attracting and retaining talent, that’s why the Board Apprentice is a proven success model that is globally recognised.
For further information please email email@example.com